Downer is a diversified engineering and services business. With over 19,000 employees we build strong relationships of trust with our customers, truly understanding and predicting their needs and bringing them world leading insights and solutions.
The Utilities division of Downer is a leading delivery partner for gas, electricity, renewables, water, wastewater, and telecommunications. Downer connects people and communities through the design, construction, commissioning, operation and maintenance of water, power and gas networks; construction of transmission and distribution networks, renewable power generation, wastewater and water projects; and we also connect homes and businesses with telecommunications. Our Water Engineering team has an opportunity for a Principal Mechanical Engineerto come on-board and work with our team that is located in Woolloongabba, Queensland. The technical role will require mechanical and hydraulic detailed design and verification of the Mechanical Teams Engineering output for our wastewater projects and proposals.
The Principal Mechanical Engineer will work closely with Design Managers, Engineers and Drafters to effectively design and deliver their respective technical design solutions and outputs for the wastewater treatment and pump stations projects they are engaged on. They will support the engineering and design effort on a wide range of projects primarily producing and checking detailed mechanical engineering designs associated with the water/wastewater industry. The deliverables will support tender design, through to concept and detailed design, and then onto construction and commissioning support activities. The Principal Mechanical Engineer is responsible for the overall compliance and technical delivery of calculations and designs of the Mechanical Engineering team. They are also involved with promoting and developing the technical capability of their team, which includes preparation and maintenance of discipline specific capability statements, the promotion of the company via attendance at selected events and forums, keeping abreast of new developments and dissemination of information to their teams. They may also assist in identifying skills gaps and training requirements, conducting annual staff performance reviews and maintaining a positive team culture.
- Mechanical Engineering Degree or equivalent
- Member of Engineers Australia and ideally hold CPEng accreditation.
- Must have REPQaccreditation.
- A minimum 15 years’ of relevant experience and recognised expertise in the detailed design of water and wastewater treatment plants and the associated pumping stations and mains
- Proven experience with hydraulics including the modelling, detailed design and layouts of pump stations, pressure and gravity pipelines including large diameter long distance pipelines
- Experience and working knowledge of the hydraulic modelling software packages
- Experienced in maintaining effective accurate records / documents
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of all Australian Codes & associated Design Manuals
- Relevant statutory regulations and procedures with the ability to read and understand technical and non-technical documentation as relates to the projects. Ability to apply and maintain quality standards on project deliverables
- Experience in mentoring and coaching more junior engineers
- Construction Safety Awareness Training Skills & Experience Required
- Proven skills in problem solving and effective communication, the ability to meet established deadlines and have experience with Microsoft Office
- The ability to plan and organise own work and to meet established deadlines
- A high level of customer service and self-motivation
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills
- Capacity to operate as an effective and collegial member of a team, in a highly competitive, fast paced and rapidly changing environment
WHAT WE OFFER
- A workplace that takes responsibility and accountability for the care and protection of peers, the business, the communities in which we operate, and the environment.
- An opportunity to work on a number of Water/Wastewater Infrastructure projects, An opportunity to work for a major ASX listed company.
- The ability to further your professional career in a multi-disciplined business environment, A supportive and dynamic team environment and great range of benefits for our employees