About the Environment & Waste Department
This department is part of our City Services Division, and is responsible for building a sustainable City through the facilitation, promotion and adoption of a proactive approach in the use of our natural resources. The department also looks after the City's waste management program including the operation of our landfills, transfer stations and resource recovery centres.
About the role
The position is required to provide a focus on implementing compliance works as required by licence requirements, to regulation and industry standard, of Council’s waste service assets.
- Role model and promote Council values in all aspects of duty.
- Manage the design process for projects including liaison with consultants to ensure design complies with current legislative and operational requirements.
- Provide professional advice, guidance and supervision to contractors, consultants and quality auditors to ensure that projects are delivered in accordance with specifications, budgets and established timeframes.
- Conduct negotiations with relevant parties in relation to variations to contracts and compliance activities so that Council’s commercial interests and EPA deliverables are protected.
- Assess and review existing practices against best practice legislation and regulation changes to identify key compliance issues.
- Analyse existing processes and forward plans to develop an understanding of how they work and also identify opportunities for improvement as appropriate.
- Prepare Landfill Annual Performance Statements for the Corio and Drysdale landfills.
- Ensure adherence to the Landfill Environment Improvement Plans (EIP) and review and modify the EIP as required
Key selection criteria
- Advanced project management skills with the ability to fully scope and manage strategic projects from conception through to completion.
- Highly developed knowledge of all relevant environmental requirements, regulations and legislation pertaining to waste management practices particularly pertaining to landfill and transfer station operations.
- Being well versed on current waste management practices and trends with an advanced knowledge of waste management trends
- Extensive experience in waste management or significant experience in civil engineering/environmental compliance
- Detailed knowledge of contract management and relevant experience in the coordination and management of budgets.
- High level of written and oral communication skills including the ability to prepare project briefs/contract specifications and preparation and presentation of reports to Council and undertaking community engagement activities.
About the City
As Victoria's largest regional municipality, the City provides the benefits of city living in a beautiful seaside location - all only 1 hour from Melbourne. We enjoy an open and inclusive culture with great employment conditions, competitive salaries, flexible work arrangements, paid parental leave, and many varied learning and development opportunities. The City is an equal opportunity employer and values the contributions a diverse workforce can bring to our community.
Applications and Enquiries
Click the APPLY NOW button below to submit your application or find out more about this opportunity.
Enquiries: Shane Middleton | 03 5272 4828 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 5:00pm Friday 20 April 2018.