Senior Environmental Scientist - Water Quality and Aquatic Ecology - [Archived Advertisement]
NRA Environmental Consultants (View other jobs from this organisation)
Senior Environmental Scientist – Water Quality and Aquatic Ecology
Location: Cairns or Townsville, Queensland
- NRA Environmental Consultants are an independent privately-owned Australian company, established in 1984.
- We have a reputation for providing high quality environmental services to a wide range of clients in both the public and private sectors.
- We have offices in Cairns and Townsville.
About the opportunity
- NRA seeks an experienced Senior Environmental Scientist specialising in Water Quality and Freshwater Aquatic Ecology.
- This role offers the opportunity to work as part of a highly-motivated team of technical specialists, where professional development, innovation and knowledge and skill sharing are encouraged.
- Provide a leadership role within the water quality and aquatic ecology function.
- It should come as second nature to you to plan, undertake or supervise water and sediment quality and biological surveys including designing monitoring programs (such as REMPs), environmental impact assessments and environmental investigations.
- Contribute to all aspects of project delivery including proposal preparation, budget control, client liaison, project management and reporting.
- Provide technical advice and assistance to colleagues in other disciplines and contribute to compliance assessments.
- Contribute to continuously improving NRA professional services by incorporating or adapting emerging techniques and tools.
Your qualifications and experience
Candidates should possess the intellectual skills, technical proficiency and wisdom necessary to make a positive contribution to the NRA team.
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject ideally with additional specialisation that adds value to your role as a professional consultant (eg ecotoxicology, eDNA tools, stygofauna, environmental chemistry).
- Seven years of post-graduate experience with a minimum of five years in a consulting role undertaking water quality and aquatic ecology assessments.
- Be self-motivated with sound problem solving skills and the ability to quickly identify key issues and develop practical solutions.
- Possess a passion for the application of their knowledge to the management of environmental issues and for assisting clients to fulfil or exceed their obligations.
- Aquatic macroinvertebrate identification skills essential with fish identification skills desirable.
- Have a good working knowledge relevant legislation, regulations and guidelines and experience in liaising with regulatory agencies.
- Ability to manage and interpret large and complex data sets and to consolidate or present data in formats that is accessible to a wide range of end users.
- Have a sound understanding of QA/QC and sample handling procedures and commitment to following NRA’s Health, Safety and Environment procedures.
- Ability to contribute to a multi-disciplinary team.
- Membership of a relevant professional body and a commitment to continuous professional development.
- Have an interest in nurturing junior staff and providing on-the-job skills and knowledge transfer.
What we offer
- The opportunity to live in a magnificent tropical environment and take advantage of the relaxed lifestyle it offers.
- The opportunity to develop your skills and career path in a friendly and professional environment where you will have your own office space in which to work.
- We provide opportunities for continued professional development.
- We support and encourage membership and positive engagement in professional and community organisations.
- A competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience will be offered to the successful candidate.
- An attractive relocation package to either Cairns or Townsville.
The closing date for applications is Monday 11 February 2019.
- Closing Date:
- 11 Feb 2019
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Natural Resource Management
Water Quality Monitoring and Analysis