- Use your leadership skills to manage the Marine National Facility
- Provide the safe and effective operation of research voyages aboard the MNF RV Investigator and other vessels
- Join the Marine National Facility team at CSIRO and see the world!
The Science Operations Manager (SOM) will provide a key contact for vessel users and manage the Marine National Facility (MNF) Operations Team to provide services that support the safe and effective operation of research voyages aboard the MNF RV Investigator and other vessels. The SOM will have responsibility for providing advice to stakeholders; supporting the assessment panels during the application process - in particular through provision of expert opinion on vessel and equipment capability and operational constraints; developing the MNF research voyage schedule and managing its implementation by their team of Operations Officers.
Location: Hobart, TAS
Salary: $106K to $124K pa plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be successful you will need:
- Strong science background coupled with a broad understanding of maritime operations and the ability to translate these skills into successful blue-water research voyages on the MNF Research Vessel Investigator and other chartered vessels as required.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, including the ability to identify and influence critical stakeholders to gain support for contentious, proposals/ideas.
- A history of professional and respectful behaviours and attitudes in a collaborative environment.
- The ability to effectively manage a number of competing priorities simultaneously, and carry out non-routine tasks under broad direction from the MNF Facilities Program Director.
- Proven ability to anticipate problems in ambiguous situations, develop appropriate solutions based on thorough evaluation and interpretation, and defend the conclusions with reasoned arguments.
- Ability to promote flexibility and change amongst direct reports and take opportunities to overcome challenges that arise as a result of uncertainty. Demonstrated ability to provide mentorship to promote professional growth and address succession.
To be eligible for this position you must be willing and able to participate on sea going research voyages on the MNF Research Vessel Investigator and other chartered vessels as required.
Who we are: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
AT CSIRO WE INVENT THE FUTURE
We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Our solutions make a difference to industry, people and the planet.
As Australia’s national science agency, we’ve been pushing the edge of what’s possible for almost 90 years. Today we have thousands of talented people working across Australia and internationally. Our people work closely with industry and communities to leave a lasting legacy. Collectively, our innovation and excellence places us in the top ten applied research agencies in the world.
WE COLLABORATE TO INNOVATE
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you.
Find out more here!: CSIRO Balance
Marine National Facility
Funded by the Australian Government, owned and operated by CSIRO under direction of an independent Steering Committee, the Marine National Facility provides a blue-water research capability to the Australian scientific community and their international collaborators.
The Marine National Facility is based at CSIRO’s Marine Laboratories in Hobart, Tasmania, which is also home port for the research vessel. Since 2000, 348 applications totalling over 8,000 days at sea have been applied for throughout all corners of Australia vast marine estate. This research obtained from these voyages provides critical information to directly support government, industry and other stakeholders in making evidence based decisions to ensure the long-term viability and prosperity of Australian marine industries.
The Marine National Facility has been a key element of Australia's national research infrastructure since 1984.
How to Apply: Please upload ONE document only containing your CV/Resume, cover letter and statement addressing the selection criteria.
Before applying please view the full position details and selection criteria here: Position Details
Applications Close: 11:59pm AEST, Monday 31 July 2017