- Conduct fisheries science and management research in Australian and international fisheries
- Work with internationally recognised scientists in world class facilities
- Join our team at CSIRO Oceans and Atmosphere
The successful applicant will work in a team conducting fisheries research including stock estimation in Australian and international fisheries, with a particular application to management related issues. The successful applicant will have a good understanding of statistics, including estimation and feedback control, and be able to apply this understanding through quantitative simulation modelling and analysis for decision support. The position will contribute to a range of studies and potentially involve a variety of different quantitative and qualitative research methods.
Location: Hobart, Tasmania
Salary: $92K - $100K pa plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be successful you will need:
- A PhD or equivalent, and research experience in environmental science or natural resource management, including formulating, implementing and applying quantitative natural resource models in an environmental or natural resource management context.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and applying quantitative techniques to population dynamics in natural resource modelling (e.g. simulation, optimisation, estimation, control theory, and management strategy evaluation).
- Demonstrated ability to initiate original research work and develop innovative approaches to research problems.
- Computer programming in R, C, Python or similar language.
- Demonstrated capacity for effective oral and written communication of research results and their general implications to scientific audiences.
- A demonstrated record of research excellence (indicated by the outcomes of completed work and scientific publications).
- Experience in working effectively in a team.
Who we are: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
AT CSIRO WE INVENT THE FUTURE
We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Our solutions make a difference to industry, people and the planet.
As Australia’s national science agency, we’ve been pushing the edge of what’s possible for almost 90 years. Today we have thousands of talented people working across Australia and internationally. Our people work closely with industry and communities to leave a lasting legacy. Collectively, our innovation and excellence places us in the top ten applied research agencies in the world.
WE COLLABORATE TO INNOVATE
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you.
Find out more! Balance
CSIRO Oceans and Atmosphere
CSIRO Ocean and Atmosphere is uniquely placed to deliver significant economic, social and environmental benefits for Australia and the region. We seek to secure Australia’s future through our seas and skies.
Find out more: https://www.csiro.au/en/Research/OandA/About
How to Apply: Please upload one document only that includes a cv/resume and cover letter, ensuring that you have provided enough information relevant to the selection criteria to enable the selection panel to determine your suitability.
Before applying please view the full position details and selection criteria here: Position Details
Applications Close: 10:00pm AEST, 1 September 2017