- Apply your advanced modelling and analytical skills to innovative environmental research projects.
- Work in a dynamic team environment with world-leading researchers.
- Join CSIRO - Australia's premier scientific research organisation.
In this position you will lead the generation and implementation of major externally-funded business opportunities that achieve impact from applications of Land & Water's global biodiversity modelling capability, and integrate that capability with other domain areas planning for, and reporting on, achievement of sustainability across multiple Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The innovations achieved by CSIRO in macro-ecological modelling over the past 10 years have now captured the attention of intergovernmental processes, multinational industry and other parties seeking to evaluate impacts, assess broad scale environmental risks and demonstrate sustainability. CSIRO's recent engagements and activities have created a window of opportunity at the leading edge of the science-policy interface.
More specifically you will:
- Incorporate novel approaches to scientific investigations by adapting and/or developing original concepts and ideas for new, existing and further research.
- Strategically capitalise on CSIRO and Land & Water's investment in developing its global biodiversity modelling capability over the last five years.
- Attract external funding for major international projects employing this capability within the next three years.
- Lead the implementation of attracted projects, resulting in significant impacts on the world stage.
- Produce high quality scientific papers suitable for publication in quality journals and for presentation at national and international conferences.
Location: Dutton Park, QLD (other locations may be considered)
Salary: $95K - $103K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
Job Ref: 56855
To be successful you will need:
A doctorate or equivalent research experience in a relevant discipline area, such as conservation biology, ecology or biodiversity science.
A solid record of publication in quality, peer reviewed journals.
Demonstrated capacity to apply advanced modelling and analysis techniques to very large biological and environmental datasets.
A record of entrepreneurial science innovation, and creativity plus the ability & willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations.
Demonstrated capacity to foster, negotiate and secure, the often complex contractual relationships, between researchers, industry and philanthropists.
Demonstrated capacity to lead the implementation of major projects, whilst also maintaining science rigour and impact through influential publications
Before you apply please view the full position details and selection criteria here: Position description document
The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate. At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today – for our customers, all Australians and the world. We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Diversity is the compass that navigates our innovation. We provide an inclusive workplace that respects, values and actively pursues the benefits of a diverse workforce.
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Find out more here! Balance
About CSIRO Land & Water: With our partners CSIRO Land & Water aim to deliver innovative solutions to the complex challenges that arise from the demands and impacts of human activities on the environment. Through an integrated systems research approach we provide the information and technologies required by government, industry and the Australian and international communities to protect, restore, and manage natural and built environments.
Our expertise addresses Australia's national challenges and is increasingly supporting developed and developing nations respond to complex economic, social and environmental issues related to water, land, cities and ecosystems.
How to apply: If you wish to apply for this position, please upload 1 document only containing your resume that best demonstrates your ability to meet the requirements of the role as defined in the Position description document.
Applications close: 11:59pm AEDT, 31 May 2018