- Learn while up earn
- Achieve a National Certificate qualification
- Great work environment for people starting their careers
The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Traineeship Program is an initiative of the CSIRO Indigenous Engagement Strategy which seeks to significantly increase Indigenous employment nationally within CSIRO. Through this strategy, CSIRO aims to enhance the educational, employment, training and career development opportunities for people of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent.
An opportunity exists for a trainee to join CSIRO Agriculture and Food to undertake a workplace-based traineeship. In this role you will work as part of an integrated team based at the Bribie Island Research Centre (BIRC) and undertake routine aquatic animal husbandry work including cleaning tanks, feeding and handling animals, and preparing and maintaining facilities and equipment.
Over the course of the traineeship, the successful applicant will undertake on-the-job training and complete a Nationally Accredited Qualification relative to their position. The course fees for this qualification will be paid for by CSIRO. Upon successful completion of the training package the trainee will be considered for further employment with CSIRO subject to the availability of a position.
Your duties will include
- Under supervision, undertaking routine daily maintenance activities and conduct routine checks on the functioning of several seawater systems in accordance with the Bribie Island Research Centre (BIRC) operational procedures.
- Under supervision, undertaking maintenance, modification and repair activities of all facets of the BIRC seawater systems.
- Supporting research based activities by participating in animal rearing, research experiments, basic laboratory work and field trips as required and in accordance with relevant animal husbandry and animal ethics protocols and practices.
- Contributing to the Bribie Island seawater facility being maintained and upheld in a safe and tidy condition.
Location: Bribie Island, QLD
Salary: AU$23,459 to AU$26,001 plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Duration: Specified term of approximately 18 months depending on course of study
For details about who to contact and for more information please view the Position Description
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Open to people of Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent (Confirmation of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent will be required prior to confirming the traineeship).
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
You will be requested to provide:
- A resume and cover letter advising why you are interested in the traineeship with CSIRO; and
- Confirmation of Aboriginality and/or Torres Strait Islander descent (this can be provided later if necessary).
Applications Close: 03 December 2018