- An exciting opportunity to conduct novel research with real-world impact!
- Work with leaders in the field to help preserve and protect our coral reefs!
- Join CSIRO Land & Water and kick-start your research career!
Postdoctoral Fellowships at CSIRO provide opportunities to scientists and engineers, who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships will help launch their careers, provide experience that will enhance their career prospects, and facilitate the recruitment and development of potential leaders for CSIRO.
Applications are invited for the final 13 months of a three year Postdoctoral Fellowship investigating the molecular basis of heat stress tolerance in Symbiodinium microalgae of corals. Coral bleaching is a major problem threatening coral reefs worldwide, including large sections of the Great Barrier Reef. Coral bleaching is caused by a heat stress-induced expulsion of the corals’ algal symbionts, and there is growing evidence that thermal tolerance in the symbionts may contribute to climate resilience in corals. As the Postdoctoral Fellowship, you will combine transcriptomic and metabolomic approaches to achieve a mechanistic understanding of these heat tolerance traits in Symbiodinium.
Your duties will include
- Under the direction of senior research scientists, carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Undertake regular reviews of relevant literature and patents.
- Produce high quality scientific and/or engineering papers suitable for publication in quality journals, for client reports and granting of patents.
- Prepare appropriate conference papers and present those at conferences as agreed with your supervisor.
Location: Canberra, ACT
Salary: $82K - $93K plus up to 15.4% Superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 13 months
To be successful you will need
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as marine biology, molecular biology, biochemistry or genomics.
- Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 4.5 years of relevant postdoctoral experience.
- Demonstrated capability to conduct innovative research in genomics, metabolomics, molecular biology, biochemistry, and/or bioinformatics.
- Demonstrated ability to develop experimental plans and pursue novel research approaches
- Demonstrated originality, creativity and innovation in solving problems and introducing new directions and approaches.
- Demonstrated ability to meet performance deadlines under minimal supervision, and to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team to achieve shared goals through cooperation.
- Evidence of strong written and oral communication skills, including publications in international scientific journals.
- Experience working with corals in natural or controlled environments.
Owing to the terms of CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowships, you must have no more than 4.5 years of relevant postdoctoral experience.
For more information please view the Position Description.
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
Friday, 15th February, 2019.