- Lead a Future Science Platform
- Set the vision, strategy and lead a program of research
- Deliver novel future outcomes for CSIRO partners
Australia’s future minerals, energy and water resources will come from far greater depths in the Earth and from deep offshore plays, but our ability to find, define and exploit these resources is limited by the deep and complex cover of sediments and weathered material that covers 80% of Australia’s land mass. The science of deep earth imaging will help us more precisely image and understand the significance of our Continent’s subsurface rock properties which in turn will unlock the resource potential of this vast and relatively underexplored area.
To address this challenge, CSIRO has established a Future Science Platform (FSP) in Deep Earth Imaging with 23 new recruits, including 18 postdoctoral appointments. An opportunity to lead this exciting initiative has arisen and we are looking to recruit an experienced R&D leader with a background in resource sciences.
Your duties will include
- Provide leadership to CSIRO’s Deep Earth Imaging FSP.
- In consultation with stakeholders in the minerals, energy and water research communities, deliver, refine and continually review CSIRO’s research and development strategy relevant to the Deep Earth Imaging FSP.
- Advise relevant CSIRO Business Units on the capability required to execute the Deep Earth Imaging strategy and work program.
- Communicate effectively and respectfully in the interests of good business practice, collaboration and enhancement of CSIRO’s reputation.
- Produce high quality scientific and/or engineering papers suitable for publication in quality journals and for presentation at national and international conferences.
Location: Kensington, WA
Salary: An attractive salary package negotiable
Tenure: 3 years specified term
To be successful you will need
- A PhD in resource sciences ideally with experience; or managerial qualifications combined with significant experience in a relevant discipline area.
- Recognition as a leader in the international resource sciences R&D community.
- Deep knowledge of at least one area of specialisation within the focus areas of the Deep Earth Imaging FSP.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in successfully initiating and effectively managing large research, development or demonstration projects.
- The demonstrated ability to lead a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team.
- A significant record of science innovation and creativity plus the ability to apply well developed research skills to scientific investigations.
For details about who to contact and for more information please view Position Description
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
Friday 22 February 2019