Senior Research Scientist - Freshwater Ecologist - [Archived Advertisement]
Senior Research Scientist - Freshwater Ecologist
- Are you an experienced scientist with skills in freshwater ecology and modelling?
- Apply your expertise to projects that will inform river and wetland management in Australia.
- Join CSIRO Land and Water and deliver research with real-world impact!
This position represents an exciting opportunity for a Senior Research Scientist in Freshwater Ecologist to join our Managing Water Ecosystems Group. Working within a multi-disciplinary team, you will apply your extensive experience in environmental flows research to deliver to science strategy, develop and lead new projects and deliver into existing research initiatives. You will also be fundamental to building and maintaining both internal and external client relationship. Reporting to the Group Leader, you will lead projects that combine multiple sources of evidence (e.g. ecological, hydrological, climate), to guide management of rivers, wetlands and floodplains. This research will progress scientific understanding of the relationship between ecology, freshwater systems and environmental factors, with findings applicable for use in predictive models where outcomes can be translated to inform river and wetland ecology and management in Australia.
Your duties will include:
- Incorporate ecological understanding of freshwater systems, adapting and/or developing original concepts and ideas for existing and future research projects, across spatial scales including basin scale.
- Advance ecological understanding of freshwater systems through combination of a range of evidence sources, for use in predictive models.
- Develop or contribute to models and modelling, including systems scales, and decision-based support systems providing recommendations that can be used by water managers.
- Develop and lead research projects.
- Anticipate industry and/or community needs and market direction through client liaison/networking and identify and adapt quickly to changes.
Location: Canberra, Adelaide preferred, other locations may be considered
Salary: AU$113k - AU132k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate in ecology or relevant discipline area, with skills in freshwater ecology and modelling.
- Extensive network and experience in environmental flows research particularly related to modified rivers, and an understanding of the research needs and ecological issues within Australian river systems.
- A solid record of publications in quality, peer reviewed journals as well as client reports.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain stakeholder relationships, together with strong written and oral communication skills.
- A record of science innovation and creativity
- Experience in developing new projects and in project management.
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check or equivalent.
You must be willing and able to undertake field-based research and undergo a pre-employment medical examination prior to commencement.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish. Diversity and Inclusion Strategy
We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of all children and young people.
At CSIRO, Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
21 February 2021, 11:00pm AEDT
- Closing Date:
- 21 Feb 2021
- AU$113k - AU132k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type:
- Full Time