CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Coastal Sediment Dynamics and Biogeochemistry - [Archived Advertisement]
CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Coastal Sediment Dynamics and Biogeochemistry
- Do you want to conduct innovative research with a leading research organisation?
- Help build an understanding of coastal sediment transport in the Great Barrier Reef
- Join CSIRO – Australia’s leading scientific research organisation!
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and have less than three years of relevant postdoctoral work experience. These fellowships aim to develop the next generation of future leaders of the innovation system.
The Postdoctoral Fellow will be responsible for designing and leading multi-disciplinary research to observe, parameterize and simulate cohesive sediment transport processes in the Great Barrier Reef (GBR). They will work with a supervisory team with expertise in biogeochemistry, sediment dynamics, hydrodynamic modelling, and artificial intelligence/machine learning as part of the project “Breaking new ground in coastal sediment dynamics: A measurement-to-modelling pathway to support blue growth and coastal resilience.” This project aims to build a process-level understanding of coastal sediment transport and transformation through innovative observational methods. Advanced modelling methods will then be explored for efficient integration of these processes into eReefs (https://ereefs.org.au/ereefs), the primary tool for modelling and managing the GBR.
Your duties will include:
- Lead field studies that implement optical, acoustic, biogeochemical, and hydrodynamic measurements along the river-reef continuum, and pair these with laboratory studies in a hypothesis-driven approach to resolve key sediment processes.
- Formulate, implement, and evaluate efficient machine learning workflows for image analysis, quantification, and characterization of suspended particulate matter in GBR waters.
- Work with eReefs modelling team to communicate new findings and refine eReefs models.
- Participate in coastal fieldwork throughout Australia and internationally, including research voyages and the use of various sampling platforms, e.g. fixed monitoring stations, buoys, research vessels, and ships of opportunity.
Location: Dutton Park, Brisbane, QLD
Salary: AU$88k - AU$96k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as geology, oceanography, biogeochemistry, environmental modelling, engineering, computer science, statistics, data analytics, applied mathematics, or applied physics. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or part-time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including the presentation of research outcomes at national and international conferences.
- A sound history of publication in peer reviewed journals and/or authorship of scientific papers, reports, grant applications or patents.
- A record of science innovation and creativity, including the ability & willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations.
For full details about this role please view the Position Description
To be eligible to for role, you must be an Australian/New Zealand Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or Australian temporary resident currently residing in Australia and be able to commence in the role by December 2021/January 2022.
The successful applicant will be required to obtain and provide a National Police Check.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
31 August 2021, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 31 Aug 2021
- QLD - Dutton Park
- AU$88k - AU$96k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
- Work Type: