The Australian Institute of Marine Science (AIMS) is Australia’s tropical marine research agency.
Our research into some of Australia’s iconic marine ecosystems guides their management and that of similar systems around the world. We do marine science that has practical benefit to the real world, providing high quality, large-scale and long-term research that is used by governments, industry and the wider community to make informed decisions about the Great Barrier Reef, North-West Shelf and Arafura and Timor Seas.
AIMS researchers at our locations in Townsville, Darwin and Perth have access to world class facilities like the National Sea Simulator, cutting edge laboratories and our fleet of research vessels.About this Opportunity
ReefCloud is an exiting new project that will develop a new generation of coral reef monitoring technology, underpinned by recent advances in deep learning for computer vision. The project will support a transformation in coral reef monitoring towards more timely and accurate decision-making and on ground management actions to improve the long-term resilience of global coral reefs. The project builds on strong expertise within AIMS in coral reef monitoring and data science, and will include the development of innovative machine-learning techniques, a rapidly growing field at AIMS.
Operating within an established agile software team, you will be primarily responsible for designing and implementing machine learning and data processing pipelines. In addition you will contribute to the development of software solutions to collect, manage, analyse and visualise data for a diversity of users. You will apply your knowledge, experience and creativity in software engineering to the development of a research data analytics platform with a focus on producing high-quality components that support automated benthic (i.e. coral reef) image analysis and associated environmental data.
Apply now and join a world leading Institute with attractive working conditions. The successful candidate will be rewarded with:
- AOF Level 5 Salary ($103,633 – $113,610 per annum)
- 15.4% superannuation
- Generous leave provisions
- Full-time, 3-year Fixed Term opportunity
- Located in Perth, Western Australia
Reflecting on your tertiary qualifications in software engineering, computer science or quantitative analysis (or equivalent work experience) along with your career achievements in the use of deep learning/machine learning/computer vision in production environments, you will be able to demonstrate your:
- Expert level knowledge in machine learning libraries such as Keras, Tensorflow and sci-kit learn (or equivalent);
- Extensive experience in software development using Java or Python with previous exposure to: Git version control; agile methodologies; refactoring; database design; continuous delivery systems like Jenkins or Bamboo;
- Experience using cloud computing platforms such as Amazon Web Services or Azure; and
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate effectively, work within an agile team and engage with a wide range clients, stakeholders and end users.
If this opportunity is something you are interested in, please review the position description, application information, and selection criteria on our website www.aims.gov.au/employment.
Candidates are advised that applications must include statements addressing the selection criteria.
Position enquiries can be directed to Mathew Wyatt, M.Wyatt@aims.gov.au
Shortlisted applicants may be asked to complete a personal outlook analysis questionnaire using the Birkman MethodApplications close Thursday 22 August 2019.