The Australian Institute of Marine Science (AIMS) is Australia’s tropical marine research agency.
Our research into some of Australia’s iconic marine ecosystems guides their management and that of similar systems around the world. We do marine science that has practical benefit to the real world, providing high quality, large-scale and long-term research that is used by governments, industry and the wider community to make informed decisions about the Great Barrier Reef, North-West Shelf and Arafura and Timor Seas.
AIMS researchers at our locations in Townsville, Darwin and Perth have access to world class facilities like the National Sea Simulator, cutting edge laboratories and our fleet of research vessels.About this Opportunity
ReefCloud is an exciting new project that will develop a new generation of coral reef monitoring technology, underpinned by recent advances in deep learning for computer vision. The project will support a transformation in coral reef monitoring towards more timely and accurate decision-making and on ground management actions to improve the long-term resilience of global coral reefs. The project builds on strong expertise within AIMS in coral reef monitoring and data science, and will include the development of innovative machine-learning techniques, a rapidly growing field at AIMS.
Operating within an established agile software team, you will have the opportunity to contribute to the creation of software solutions to collect, manage, analyse and visualise data for a diversity of users. You will apply your knowledge, experience and creativity in software engineering to the development of a research data analytics platform with a focus on producing high-quality components that support automated benthic (i.e. coral reef) image analysis and associated environmental data. You will contribute to the design and implementation of data processing pipelines and operationalise exciting high-profile research data systems using cloud, big data and machine learning technologies, critical for the future of coral reef monitoring and marine research activities.
Apply now and join a world leading Institute with attractive working conditions. The successful candidate will be rewarded with:
- AOF Level 4 Salary ($82,632 – $94,034 per annum full time equivalent)
- 15.4% superannuation
- Generous leave provisions (25 days annual leave and a 9-day fortnight)
- Free commute arrangements
- Full-time, 3-year Fixed Term opportunity
- Located in Townsville, Queensland
With tertiary qualifications in software engineering, computer science or equivalent demonstrated work experience, you will demonstrate your:
- extensive experience in software development using Java or Python. If you have anything that we can look at, such as open source (e.g. on Github or BitBucket), we would appreciate you including it in your application.
- experience with contemporary software development tools and practises: version control, automated testing, issue tracking
- experience developing web applications using frameworks such as Angular (preferred) or React, with skills in User Interface and User Experience design; and
- well-developed interpersonal skills, work within an agile team and engage with a wide range clients, stakeholders and end users.
If this opportunity is something you are interested in, please review the position description, application information, and selection criteria on our website www.aims.gov.au/employment
. Candidates are advised that applications must include statements addressing the selection criteria.
Position enquiries can be directed to Mark Rehbein, email@example.com
Shortlisted applicants may be asked to complete a personal outlook analysis questionnaire using the Birkman Method.Applications close Thursday 22 August 2019.