- Develop models and decision-based support tools to underpin water management.
- Manage the implementation of water quality models and analysis of water quality models.
- Join CSIRO - Australia's premier science & technology research organisation!
As the Research Scientist, you will apply advance modelling and prediction tools for water quality of rivers, lakes and reservoirs using emerging technologies in remote sensing. This requires an in-depth understanding of aquatic remote sensing and modern data analysis techniques for big data, as well as basic understanding of ecological and biogeochemical processes in natural and artificial inland waters.
Your duties will include
- Incorporate novel approaches to scientific investigations by adapting and/or developing original concepts and ideas for new, existing and further research.
- Advance knowledge in water based ecosystems response to environmental stressors using modern monitoring (e.g. remote sensing) and modelling tools.
- Develop models and decision-based support tools to underpin water management, considering legacies, current and proposed development.
- Assist in leading small research projects, including the negotiation of resource requirements, and managing activities involving the implementation of water quality models and analysis of remote sensing data.
Location: Canberra, ACT
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
Salary: AU$92K – AU$105K + up to 15.4% superannuation
To be successful you will need
Under CSIRO policy only those who meet all selection criteria can be appointed.
- A PhD in a relevant discipline area, such as remote sensing, water science, or ecological modelling.
- Demonstrated experience in water based ecosystems response to environmental stressors using modern monitoring and modelling tools.
- A solid record of publications in quality, peer reviewed journals.
- Strong written and oral communication skills including the ability to publish research results, prepare reports and present the results of scientific investigations at national and international conferences and stakeholder meetings.
- Experience with regional spatial analysis and remote sensing to inform large scale environmental model development.
- Experience in developing or adapting custom software and scientific models.
- Knowledge in water quality modelling.
- Willingness and ability to undertake field based research.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, and carry out independent individual research, to achieve organisational goals.
- A record of science innovation and creativity plus the ability & willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations.
For more information please view the Position Description.
We’re working hard to recruit diverse people and ensure all our people feel supported to do their best work and empowered to let their ideas flourish.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you. Balance
At CSIRO you can be part of helping to solve big, complex problems that make a real difference to our future. We spark off each other, learn from each other, trust each other and collaborate to achieve more than we could individually in a supportive, rewarding, inclusive and truly flexible environment.
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter outlining your suitability and motivation for the role.
Sunday, 9th June, 2019