$75,835 + 9.5% Superannuation
City of Melbourne is committed to supporting diversity, inclusion and flexibility. Applicants seeking flexible and part-time arrangements are encouraged to apply.
City of Melbourne recognises the value of the diversity and strength of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures to the heritage of all Australians and encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply. You will be supported in your application via our Aboriginal Employment Officer, Mariah Johnson.
For more information on what it is like working with us at City of Melbourne please go to working with us at City of Melbourne
Currently our Health and Wellbeing team are looking for someone who has great communication skills, who enjoys investigating consumer issues and cares about public health!
How this position makes the difference to City of Melbourne…
In this role you will be reporting into the Team Leader Health Services; as an authorised officer (working under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008) you will be responsible for carrying out inspections, consumer complaints, and investigations.
You will be required to conduct compliance assessments of proposed and registered businesses under the Act, including those operating at special events. Using your strong written and record management skills you will also undertake pool and water sampling and investigate customer nuisance, noise and odour issues.
You are passionate and thrive in a compliance based role; you may be studying towards your public health degree, or come from a local laws / authorised officer role and looking for a change.
This role does include some after-hours inspections and as such your flexible availability is required. Please note that possession of a current and valid full Victorian driver’s license is essential.
If you are someone who enjoys customer contact, research, and has a brain for investigations this may be your next career move!
You can bring… (Selection criteria)
- Ability to demonstrate and display City of Melbourne Values – integrity, courage, accountability, respect for self and others, and striving for excellence
- Proven ability to work as an effective team member, input into team processes, actively and positively contribute to team goals, and demonstrate positive behaviours and attitudes within the team environment
- Demonstrated ability to apply relevant legislation and corporate procedures and policies
- High level understanding of customer service principles and practice, and demonstrated ability to apply those principles to internal and external customer interaction
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbal, with all levels of staff, the general public, and commercial and professional stakeholders
- Proven ability to work in a time pressured environment, meeting multiple deadlines with a high level of initiative, motivation and innovation.
- A degree in environmental, social science or related field
- Experience with local government or in a similar enforcement or conflict resolution role.
To view the physical requirements of this position, please see below under Position Information.
How to apply…
As part of the online application form you are required to:
- attach your resume
- attach a separate cover letter (no more than one page)
- respond to the following application questions (no more than 300 words each), in a separate document:
- How do you define ‘excellent customer service’ as you see it being delivered within this role?
- Can you provide an example of how you have maintained high level customer service?
- How does this role fit with your career aspirations and why do you believe you are the best candidate?
Please address your covering letter to Brendan Garrett, Team Leader Health and Wellbeing
The position description for this role will not be provided at this stage of application.
The Advertised Close Date and other important information can be found on www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/careers.
City of Melbourne is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a safe working environment that embraces and values child safety, diversity and inclusion.
If you have a disability and require advice and support during the recruitment process, we encourage you to apply or contact us on the details listed below.
City of Melbourne’s Recruitment Team and our Aboriginal Employment Officer, Mariah, welcome your general questions on (03) 9658 9140 between the hours of 8:30am and 1:00pm Monday to Friday.